There are many ways to create unique, compelling characters. One of them is to create a character’s profile or what I call a chara-design.
In order to define your character you needed to write a detailed description or who they are. But before we do that, we need to find out and understand who they are.
So let’s do a writing exercise
I want you to think of a character you have created. I want you to close your eyes, think about them.
Now that you are facing them, ask them these questions:
- Who are you?
- Who is the person that you love the most?
- What are you the most afraid of?
- Do you like your life?
- Why do you think I’ve created you?
- What do you want the most in this life?
- What was your childhood like (if they are an adult)?
- How do you act when you’re no longer scared?
- Are you afraid of dying? Why?
- Who are you when no one is looking?
These are the questions I’ve created and that I always ask my characters:
And if you liked that exercise, here are more questions.